Change is constant. Embracing change is the challenge we constantly face. And most of us don’t like it very much, at least initially.
But change doesn’t necessarily have to be a bad or confronting thing. Change can be exciting and full of hope and possibility. It’s all in our interpretation and in the way we structure our story around it.
Questions Answered In This Podcast Episode
A: Whenever I realise my life is changing, whether I like it or not, I seem to go into a tailspin. I appear to need to spend a lot of time convincing myself I can handle it. Any comments?
E: Oh man I am terrible with change. I’d like to know how to better manage my anxiety. I seem to know how to handle it when things are stable, but have more panic and insomnia when there is a change, like travel, illness etc.
E: Also how does someone who has a need for control decide to take risks or manage the unknowns involved in change. Like deciding to take a new job. I have an opportunity to take a new job, but I’m comfortable and safe right now, so I’m having a hard time deciding whether the risks are worth it.
In this “Embracing Change” podcast we discuss:
- Deliberately looking for small ways to challenge your fear of change
- How changing our hairstyle or ‘look’ can be a way of practicing embracing change
- Our fear of others’ opinions stopping us making changes
- Looking at what we CAN control, rather than what you CAN’T?
- You can’t control much but you can always control your thoughts, so make them serve you (using affirmations, distraction)
- Chunking it up. In other words, taking one step at a time. “How do you eat an elephant?” “One bite at a time!” 🙂